Friday, June 13, 2008

there's no place like home (especially when you're at work)

When I was but a wee little girl, my 2nd grade teacher gave us an assignment to dress up like our favorite fictional character. I, having been obsessed with the Wizard of Oz since I could talk (whenever my Aunt Karen would babysit me, I would say, "Aunt Kawen, I want to watch WIZAWD. OF. OZ."), chose to dress as Dorothy.

I don't remember much about the costume. I don't remember what dress I wore, I don't remember if I had a fake Toto (that's a lie, I totally carried around a Pound Puppy in a basket), but I do remember the shoes. My dad took an old pair of white dress shoes from my closet and when he brought them back, they had magically transformed into ruby slippers. Sure, it was just some glittery, red paint, but you guys . . . they are the best shoes I have ever owned. I wish I still had them.

I do own a grown-up pair of ruby slippers, but unfortunately, they never send me home, no matter how many times I click my heels.

6 comments:

peefer said...

Do you kill witches? I need someone to kill a witch in my attic.

Jennie said...

Yes, but it'll cost you.

peefer said...

How 'bout I'll let you go home?

Jennie said...

Done!

Tam said...

I like this post! I would dress up at Elizabeth I if I could, I would come into work as a virgin. Fun right?

Anonymous said...

Last Halloween, as I walked the kids around the very crowded neighborhood I saw a Totally Excellent Dorothy. Upon closer inspection he was an 11- or 12-year-old boy.

Ballsiest costume choice of the night, for sure.