Thursday, October 23, 2008

don't drink the hateorade

I complain a lot. Ask anyone. ANYONE. These are the things I've been complaining about lately, but in an effort to make myself a better person, I'm going to complain about them AND THEN say something good about them. Look at that. I'm growing.

1. Cold weather

Earlier this week, I started complaining about snow and it hasn't even gotten cold enough to snow yet. Also, the cold weather makes it harder to go running because it makes my throat hurt (waaaaaaaaah) and I have to wear a jacket. I HATE WEARING A JACKET. The good thing about cold weather, though, is that I no longer sweat like a pig while running and also it was cold enough last weekend to build a fire and roast marshmallows. Win win win.

2. the election

I've known who I was going to vote for since February 2007. And since I know who I'm going to vote for and am sick of hearing about the election and am double sick of seeing Palin's stupid face everywhere, can't they just move the voting to today? Or even tomorrow. I'm flexible. The good thing about the election is . . . um, it's almost over. Also, I could go vote early if I wasn't so lazy and if I didn't heart voting on election day so hard.

3. Atonement (sorry, Ashley)

I finished the book the other day, and I only did it out of pure spite, because I guessed the ending after beginning Part Two, and I didn't like any of the characters, and Briony was stupid and annoying, and it moved SO SLOWLY and I don't really like war books anyway (except for The Things They Carried). But. I plan on seeing the movie, because I've heard rumors that James McAvoy is super dreamy in it.

4. NBC

We still don't have it. Instead we have HBO Family, which has been running the same five movies over and over. We have Batman Returns (good), E.T. (good), some movie about kid entrepreneurs (didn't watch it, but it looked really cheesy), some movie about kids stuck in an airport (didn't watch it, but it had Lewis Black in it so it couldn't have been good), and The Astronaut Farmer, which I can't watch because Billy Bob Thornton ruined David Duchovny's marriage. This not having NBC is not good, no matter what way I look at it, because you know why? The version of E.T. they're showing is the new one. And in the new version, they took out the part where Elliot calls his brother, "penis breath." Enough said.

5. money

As in, I have none. The good thing about this is, it forced me to reevaluate my budget (ha, what budget).

6. Thanksgiving

First of all, nothing can top the Thanksgiving Miracle of last year, but this year Thanksgiving is with my mom's side of the family which is the side of the family full of DRAMA AND CRAZY. Because of this, Thanksgiving will just be me, my parents, and sister, and that sounds practically perfect to me. I might even bring more than the rolls this year.

7. Christmas

See above: crazy family. They have rescheduled both Thanksgiving and Christmas, and even though I can't make it to faux-Thanksgiving, it doesn't matter because they only reschedule major holidays for my army-bound cousin, anyway. Oh, do I sound bitter? It's because I am. Anyway, the good thing about Christmas is I LOVE BUYING PRESENTS FOR PEOPLE. The no money thing makes this a challenge, but despite my laziness, I actually enjoy a challenge.

8. Puppies

Ha! Just kidding. No one complains about puppies unless they pee or poop somewhere they're not supposed to, and even then, it's half-hearted complaining because LOOK AT HOW CUTE THE PUPPY IS.

And now I want a puppy.

14 comments:

kat said...

i'm pretty sure i said this before, but JAMES MCAVOY YUM.

Joe G. said...

I like Atonement in the same way that I like movies like The Usual Suspects or The Prestige: the ending completely changes the book. If I were to go back and reread the book (I'm not going to), I would get a completely different read out of it than I did the first time.

What I think Atonement lacks that The Usual Suspects or The Prestige do not, however, is a likable protagonist, because seriously, Briony is annoying as shit.

The only reason I read this book - any of this book at all, as I honestly did not read the first half, but I ate up the second part because I found it to be extremely well-written - was because I had to for class. And even that obligation was tenuous at best. The number of times that I didn't read a book for class far outweighs the number of times that I actually did the reading. I was an amazing English major.

Jennie said...

kat, indeed . . . I enjoy him.

Joe, also, Briony is a stupid name.

Heather Anne Hogan said...

I cannot believe your cable people are still holding out NBC on you!

Fraulein N said...

Oh my damn THE ASTRONAUT FARMER. You have reminded me of my loathing for that movie. Actually, I can't even muster up enough interest to loathe it. I don't understand that movie. Not at all.

Jennie said...

h!a! I KNOW! I'm trying really hard not to think about it.

Fraulein, I'm sorry I brought that movie back into your life.

Anonymous said...

I think one of the reasons I like Atonement so much is that I used be Briony, and I don't know, it just sucked me in and wouldn't let me go.

Also, who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to name a movie The Astronaut Farmer? I mean, seriously. Think about it.

Anonymous said...

Briony sucks so hard!!! (Sorry, Ashley-- I'm sure you didn't.) And I hate the ending so, so much! It's so self-consciously literary that it pisses me off, and I'm about as pretentious as they come. However, I like James McAvoy, so if the movie is different from the book, I could be persuaded to watch.

eclectic said...

You can TOTALLY have my NBC, and I mean it. I don't watch it anyway (except occasionally when they have a football game, which lately, never). So I absolutely give you my NBC because I love you.

Never That Easy said...

I didn't read the book, but I did watch Atonement. James McAvoy is beyond yummy (even if I did spend a lot of the movie calling him Mr Tumnus in my head). That sounds strange, but I think he's adorable, part faun or not.

Tam said...

i will never read Atonement.

Remember that conversation that you and J had about puppies at the steakhouse? That was a good conversation.

Jennie said...

You mean how they're cuter than babies? I stand by that.

srah said...

I don't think I'd like to read the book because it doesn't have James McAvoy in it. He was dreamy.

S said...

I have been sending my husband links to local shelter dogs that need to be adopted on PetFinder.com. Seriously, like, daily I'm sending him these links.

I think you should adopt this method and send links to your landlord so that he eases up on the "no dogs" policy and lets you get a puppy.